Construction equipment manufacturer Komatsu debuted its intelligent Machine Control (iMC) 2.0 at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020 in Las Vegas. Komatsu’s iMC is a suite of features that utilizes advanced machine technology—some of which is patent pending—to increase dozer productivity.
Visitors at the trade show can see Komatsu’s iMC 2.0 capabilities on the industry’s newest and largest intelligent hydrostatic transmission (HST) dozer, the D71PXi-24, making its global premier at this week’s show. The D71 is displayed in the Smart Construction section of Booth N-10825.
The suite of productivity features that comprise Komatsu’s intelligent Machine Control 2.0 include:
Patent-pending proactive dozing control
- Automatically cuts/strips from existing terrain like an experienced operator
- Can operate automatically 100% of the time
- Measures the terrain it tracks and uses that track-level data to plan the next pass
- Over 60% more productive than the previous generation
Patent-pending lift layer control
- Automatically spreads fill from existing terrain with one press of a button
- Measures the terrain it tracks over and uses that data to plan the next pass
- Doubles production and achieves consistent layers for quality compaction
Tilt steering control
- Automatically tilts blade to maintain straight travel during rough dozing
- Reduces the need for operator steering input by up to 80%
Quick surface creation
- Creates a temporary design surface with one press of the button
- Combined with other iMC 2.0 functions, operators can begin stripping or spreading using automatic modes while waiting for finish grade mode
Within the year, intelligent Machine Control 2.0 will be commercially available on additional Komatsu dozers. In addition to the iMC 2.0 debut, Komatsu introduced its upcoming suite of smart construction solutions at CONEXPO.
Built to support the digital transformation of its customers’ worksites, Komatsu’s Smart Construction roadmap includes 11 new solutions with releases starting this coming year. Those solutions are:
- Smart Construction Design – Go from rolled up paper plans to robust 3D designs and more with 3D data generation.
- Smart Construction Remote – Send new design data to machines in the field, or remotely support operators, without traveling to the jobsite.
- Smart Construction Dashboard – Graphically visualize design, drone and machine data to measure cut/fills, quantities, and productivity.
- Smart Construction Fleet – Collect the data needed to optimize fleets and track production, all on a mobile app.
- Smart Construction Insight – Display an overview of progress, productivity, and profitability across multiple jobsites.
- Smart Construction Simulation – From start to finish, simulate jobsites to optimize results, before the first yard of dirt is moved.
- Smart Construction Retrofit – Equip legacy excavators of any make or model with access to 3D data, giving operators the guidance they need.
- Smart Construction Rover – Cost-effective, high-value 3D rovers to outfit all key jobsite personnel.
- Smart Construction Drone – Provides a bird’s-eye view of the jobsite, in a fraction of the time required by a ground-based survey.
- Smart Construction Edge – Rapid processing of drone data into a 3D terrain map without leaving the jobsite.
- Smart Construction Field – Cost-effective project management that includes cost tracking and helps determine the best ways to bid, manage and resource projects.