Close
WORLD OF CONCRETE
Sunday, November 30, 2025
JEC WORLD 2026

New South Wales ramps up construction during Covid-19

Note* - All images used are for editorial and illustrative purposes only and may not originate from the original news provider or associated company.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

Leave Message for Us to Get Back

Related stories

9 Essential Steps to Prepare Your Home for Winter 2025

Winter has a way of exposing every weak spot...

New Clay-Based Material Created as a Substitute to Concrete

Researchers at Oregon State University have gone ahead and...

Who Offers the Best Shade Structures for Athletic Facilities? Here’s What You Should Know

The right shade structures for athletic facilities provide comfort,...
- Advertisement -

The government of New South Wales (NSW) has chosen to carry on with construction and maintenance activity to keep people working during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Andrew Constance, NSW’s transport and roads minister, said the government would push ahead with A$57.5bn worth of transport infrastructure work over the next four years.

It was, he said, “essential to keep moving during a time like this”. The approach will keep 130,000 people working directly or indirectly for Transport for NSW in employment.

Compared to European countries and North America, Australia has been affected more lightly by the virus, with 6,721 confirmed cases so far, and 83 deaths.

Its deaths per million of population ratio is just three. Daily new cases peaked on 26 March, with around 1,300 cases, but since mid-April daily new cases have stayed below 80.

NSW, where Sydney is located, has just over 3,000 cases, with five new cases today. NSW introduced social restrictions to slow the spread of the virus, but construction has continued.

In fact, the NSW government has used the lack of traffic during the pandemic to fast track work on the M5 East Motorway, where work would have normally taken place at night. In a similar vein, the Sydney Harbour Tunnel has been closed over the last few days to accelerate maintenance work.

The state is trying to build safer. Measures have included hiring hundreds of extra cleaners, who have worked 83,000 hours since the beginning of March.

Thousands of packs of disinfectant wipes and thousands of litres of hand sanitiser have been distributed to stations, depots, work sites and offices.

On the national scene, an open letter signed on 19th April by a multitude of economics experts and heads of industry, has warned against the relaxation of social distancing. The letter said “we cannot have a functioning economy unless we first comprehensively address the public health crisis”.

Latest stories

Related stories

9 Essential Steps to Prepare Your Home for Winter 2025

Winter has a way of exposing every weak spot...

New Clay-Based Material Created as a Substitute to Concrete

Researchers at Oregon State University have gone ahead and...

Who Offers the Best Shade Structures for Athletic Facilities? Here’s What You Should Know

The right shade structures for athletic facilities provide comfort,...

How Advanced Aluminum Design Is Shaping the Future of Modern Construction

Modern construction is moving forward at a remarkable pace....

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

Leave Message for Us to Get Back

Translate »